View Single Post

Old 10-21-2021, 07:03 AM
redapplesonly redapplesonly is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Novice

redapplesonly is on a distinguished road
Default SAVE AS... Feature adds extra 5 pixels at bottom of image??

Hello Visio Gurus,

I'm using Visio to generate a lot of little (~70 x ~70 pixels) images. But I've noticed that the outputted images include an extra 5 pixels of blank white space under the original image. I'm hoping there's a way to clear this up.

To explain in more detail: My company is about to implement a new shipping system, one that is pretty complex. I'm tasked with training about 200 employees to learn this thing, and I thought that after I explain the new system, the employees and I can all play a customized board game (over Zoom) to walk them through the new processes. Each employee would be represented by a little PNG icon with their picture and name in it. I'm using Visio to generate the little PNG icons.

I'll illustrate my process with pictures in the PDF attachment to this post. There's five pictures in that PDF.

So to generate a new Player Icon, I open Visio, import the employee's picture, and then create two rectangles. (See "Picture A: Raw Materials") I combine the those three elements and then Group them. As you can see, the combined image is quite small, about .7 X .7 inches. (See "Picture B: Combined Image")

Now I select the Grouped image and do a "File --> Save As..." I specify that the image should be a PNG. Then I set the options to what you see in "Picture C: 'Save As' Options", which I assume I should be using. Remember, I'm anticipating that I'll be making maybe 200 some PNG images, so I want them all to be very small.

Once I finish saving, I can see the outputted file in the target directory on my computer. (See "Picture D: PNG Image in Directory") Everything looks fine...

...except when I peer closely at the PNG file, I see that there's an extra bar of white at the bottom of the image! Its only 5 pixels tall, but when the image is this small, it does catch the eye. See "Picture E: Enlargement; 5 Extra Pixels!"

This problem is hardly a big showstopper, but it is annoying to see that extra white at the bottom of the final image. I'm the type of perfectionist who hates that kind of thing.

The problem may not be with the Save As option; I see the exact same white space appear when I save the file as a JPEG or GIF, for example.

(One last detail: I'm using Visio 2019 MSO (Version 2109 Build 16.0.14430.20292) 64-bit. My computer is a Windows 10 machine.)

Any idea what might be the problem? Does Visio add a little buffer or something if your image is less than 100 pixels or something? Any advice is gratefully accepted. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Saving PNG Image Issues.pdf (190.7 KB, 9 views)