View Single Post

Old 09-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 10 Office 2019

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulodesk View Post

Charles, off-topic somewhat, but regarding the info in the link you sent about TOC and direct formatting, maybe I am misunderstanding something. It didn't seem to deal with styling of the TOC styles, which trump the heading style and formatting. So, for instance, if my Heading 1 is Baskerville and I locally change a few words in, say, my first such heading to Arial, but if my TOC 1 style is Calibri 11, my TOC will be in Calibri 11. At least, that's what I get when using Custom TOC, which I always do, because I style font, size, and indents in the TOC styles.
Some, but not all, direct character formatting, including for this purpose character styles, will override the TOC style formatting. Suzanne's article sets it out pretty well. Formatting set in paragraph styles is ignored in the TOC entry.

Quote:
Important Note: Not all direct formatting is reflected in the TOC. Paragraph formatting is always ignored. This means that if your Heading 1 is defined as 12 points Spacing Before and 3 points Spacing After and you modify one Heading 1 paragraph to have 24 points Spacing Before, this will not affect the TOC. Only direct font formatting is picked up, and not even all of that; here's a rundown:
  • Font formatting that is picked up by the TOC: the font itself (font name), italics, bold, superscript/subscript, strikethrough/double strikethrough, small caps/all caps, hidden, raised/lowered, expanded/condensed, scaled.
  • Font formatting that is NOT picked up by the TOC: font size, font color, underline.

The above certainly applies to the "Custom" TOC. It was written before building blocks existed and it applies to anything generated by a TOC field.