View Single Post

Old 09-07-2021, 08:52 AM
SSBB SSBB is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2016
Novice

SSBB is on a distinguished road

Ok, Here is what I found. Couple notes first as there are a couple of questions as well surrounding locations.
Network locations:
K:\Office2016
K:\Office2016\Startup
K:\Office2016\Startup\Templates
All macros are in both the Startup and the Templates folders.
The normal.dot & normal.dotm are in all three locations
If I open the macro files directly, I am able to go into the developer tab and edit the macros. All macros have been updated this way to show our new company name. However, when I open Word, and then go to View>Macros and run the macro from there, it still showed the old name.
I found in the Startup folder there was also a normal (2).dotm file. I copied this file to a different location and then deleted it. I then opened Word again and went to View>Macros and voila, my changes are there.
Someone else came to me after I finally got this working and asked about changing some names and titles. So, I again went out and opened the macro files, searched thru and changed names and titles (no small feat since we have close to 100 macro files). But again, when I open Word and go to View>Macros, the changes are not there. This time however, there is no "Normal (2).dotm" file to delete.
I found in Word>File>Options>Advanced>File Locations, there are two settings that point to the file locations mentioned above. The first one is "User templates" which points to the Startup folder mentioned above and the other is the "Startup" which goes to the "Office2016" folder mentioned above. Since the normal.dot (which is the file that seems to hold the bulk of the macros), and the normal.dotm are in all three locations listed above, which file gets used and when? I am hoping when I come in tomorrow morning, I will have figured out which one has my changes it in and copy it out to all three locations and be done with it, but it would be good to know exactly what is being used and when so I know going forward.
Thanks for all the help!
SS