View Single Post

Old 08-31-2021, 10:08 AM
hbhilton hbhilton is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

hbhilton is on a distinguished road
Cool Outline Numbering scheme with TEXT before the numbers causes the right tab to function as a left tab

Hello all!

Been a long time since I was stumped by an issue in Word, but I think I've found a pretty significant glitch! FYI: I was an MS Office trainer in a past life, so I usually know what I'm doing, or can at least figure most stuff out. This one is a mystery - at least to me!

I've created new styles and an outline numbering scheme that uses them. The scheme includes text prior to (left of)the number. The paragraph style has a RIGHT tab set at 7.5 inches - the right hand margin setting. This should cause text that has been typed in to populate from the tab stop POINT (7.5) moving to the LEFT in the document. I've done this oodles of times with number formats that do NOT include text.

Today I found that the "Right" tab functions as a standard "Left" tab under these circumstances.

If you want to see it for yourself, create a new document and apply the "Article" outline numbering scheme associated with the Heading Styles. - both Level 1 and Level 2 paragraphs, using Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles consecutively, have text prior to the number in the "Enter formatting for number" field in the "Format New Multilevel list" dialog box. See file attachment titled "Locate Number Scheme".

Once you have applied the Outline Numbering, modify the Heading 1 style in the document to have a right tab at the right hand margin - again, I used 7.5, as my document has .5" margins.

After you have updated the style, apply it to the current paragraph in the document - you should see the text display prior to the number 1, a tab character, and your cursor should be at the tab position. The expectation is that when you begin to type, the text will flow to the left from the insertion point, extending "backward" toward the left margin.

NOPE! When you begin typing, the text builds toward the RIGHT MARGIN, and ultimately word-wraps to the next line, underneath the text/number.

Create another paragraph using the Heading 2 style, and modify the style to have a right tab stop. Same problem!

BUT - when you try the same thing with Heading 3, it works just fine. Heading 3 does not have any "words" prior to the number, although it does have a left paren.

Screenshot titled "Right Tab Misfire" shows my sample document for the exercise above - paragraphs demonstrate the issue.

Not sure what additional formatting attributes are included in the Outline Numbering overlay to the Heading styles for this scheme, but I sure would like to know what to turn off if I can!

Thoughts and ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: png Locate Number Scheme.png (41.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Right Tab Misfire.jpg (81.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by hbhilton; 08-31-2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Fix typos and hanging sentence.