View Single Post

Old 08-11-2021, 07:19 AM
BobBridges BobBridges is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Expert

BobBridges has a spectacular aura aboutBobBridges has a spectacular aura about

I may have misunderstood you, but it sounds like the same thing I'm doing with an overseas client; they want to be able to update their workbook with fresh data, but they also want me to be able to add VBA code to it.

The obvious way to do that is to have some sort of SharePoint or SharePoint-like arrangement. With SharePoint you have the file in a common location, and if anyone opens it SharePoint marks it as "checked out" to that user; others can look at it, but cannot update it until the other user checks it back in.

In my case the client is unwilling to give me access to their SharePoint space, so we make do with a workaround: They send me the latest copy, upon which I announce to them that I have it "checked out" and they must remember not to update their copy until I send them my updates, at which point it's back in their hands again. Not entirely satisfactory, but it seems to work, mostly (I think) because they don't have to update their stuff constantly. If they did, it would be much harder.

To reduce confusion, I'm careful about filenames. When I send them a copy, I name it "name yyyy-mm-dd.xlsm" so there's no doubt about which version is which.