View Single Post

Old 07-23-2021, 03:39 AM
laith93 laith93 is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Competent Performer

laith93 is on a distinguished road
Default Placing numbers of cross-references of tables and figures inside parenthesis

Hi,
Before explaining my problem, I am an academic researcher and I always work with scientific papers or thesis.
Previously, I posted in the Microsoft community, but I didn't get my need.
I recently joined this forum and browsed it for a week and I concluded that everything is possible with VBA, but it requires experience, so I will depend on Mr. macropod, Guessed, gmayor, and Greg Maxey as experts and most posts are replied by them, hence forgive me and you should help me as you can.

My problem (I think it's a worldwide problem) is with table and figure cross-references when inserted in a sentence,
the minimum option available for tables and figures is "Only label and number" for example, "as shown in Table 3.1", see attached image.
I googled for a time on how to insert the only numbers for cross-references of tables and figures, but without benefits, and this is impossible. So we will work with "Only label and number" as minimum option.

So my need is a VBA code to put the number of cross-references inside the parenthesis () and convert the label (Table, Figure) to lowercase because it is not suitable when not come at the start of a sentence.

I can do my need manually, but firstly, it takes a lot of time, secondly, suppose if I delete a certain table or figure, then updating cross-references, it will restore the original format, so the VBA code will solve this issue.

From the attached files, you can download exercise files to apply on it ("For scientific paper" just contain cross-reference number, ex: as shown in Table 3, while "For thesis" the cross-references number contain chapter number additionally, ex: as shown in Table 1.3).

The following image describes what Word can do by default and what I want:
Cross-ref.png

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: docx For scientific paper.docx (211.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: docx For thesis.docx (218.4 KB, 7 views)