View Single Post

Old 05-19-2021, 07:17 PM
Kenny Kenny is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Kenny is on a distinguished road
Default Any way to make shapes (with dashed line edges) overlap perfectly?

Hello all! I'm using MS Visio Pro 2019, and am testing the features of it - just to see if visio can conveniently create shapes such as the ones seen in my uploaded screen-shot.

The shape was just made using a curved rectangular basic visio shape, with the fill colour turned off. And I used the 'Developer' line tool and the 'trim' option to break the TOP edge of the shape into separate portions, so that I could the 'format shape' feature to form the arrow-heads.

I'm aiming to park clones of those shapes side-by-side, and I am trying to get the edges of those shapes to become overlapped perfectly ----- perfectly aligned. But - at the moment, I don't know if there is a visio feature that allows met to get the vertical edges of the neighbouring shapes to align perfectly.

Also - it seems that the vertical dashed lines of the neighbouring shapes are at different height levels. So even if the vertical edges of the shape could somehow become aligned ------ the overlap wouldn't be perfect.

Any nice tips from forum members here about visio features for very accurately manoevering shapes so that they can be parked side-by-side (perfect overlap)? That is, having two of these shapes properly oriented next to each other (touching), and also properly positioned both vertically and horizontally. At the moment, I can see the visio provides width and height of a shape ----- but maybe doesn't provide X-axis and Y-axis coordinates of edges --- so that we can determine how much we need to move a particular block in order to align with another one.

Also - at moment, I notice that when I 'copy' a shape, and then 'paste' that shape ---- the new 'clone' shape just appears at some sort of arbitrary vertical and horizontal distance away from the original shape. Is there a way to PASTE so that the clone shape stays at the same horizontal level as the original shape? [small update ----- I just found that keeping the CTRL key depressed while using the mouse to 'drag' a shape ----- will copy that shape, and will generally preserve the horizontal level (and noting that if the horizontal level isn't getting preserved during the dragging, then the SHIFT key can then also be depressed (ie. CTRL key held down (and remaining depressed), followed by mouse drag to begin with (and then push the SHIFT key and keep it held down as well along with the CTRL key).

I have also attached my visio professional 2019 project file.

Thanks all!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dashed lines alignment.jpg (117.9 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip dashed lines_alignment1.zip (142.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Kenny; 05-19-2021 at 10:33 PM.