View Single Post

Old 05-02-2021, 06:59 AM
ParishPete ParishPete is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

ParishPete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
A file named 'minutes-04-10-27' wouldn't change to 'minutes.04.10.27' when moving from a Mac to a PC. The implication, therefore, is that the periods were there all along. You really shouldn't use periods in filenames - they should only be used to differentiate the filename from the extension. The use of periods in filenames was at one time a common malware exploit, used to hide the the types of files the malware really were.
I used a Mac backup program to do a one time copy. It may be that a setting in that was the culprit. the changes from hyphens to periods is completely global on that disc

I’ve been writing and saving minutes files and many other MS Office files for over 20 years. I’ve never used periods in a file name, just underscores or hyphens.
If I remember correctly, MS Word will not save a file with a period in an unexpected place in the file name.

Thank you for your concern, but I’m genuinely not that foolish. I will however run a malware check across that NAS drive for safety, though it is only ever on for 3 hours each day.