View Single Post

Old 01-15-2021, 11:20 AM
kilroyscarnival kilroyscarnival is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Expert

kilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydog View Post
The reason I want to do this is because the blank pages reflect the exact layout of PDF documents (sequence, orientation, page size) that I have (I don't have the source for these original PDF). If I can put line numbers on these pages and export to PDF, it's just a simple matter of overlaying these numbered pages onto my final documents. You may say, why not use a PDF editor to do this - well it would be very slow for thousands of pages. Neither do I want to use OCR, as this is also very time consuming and can change formatting.
I think I understand your project. Is the text, and thus the numbering, continuous, or do you have to make the first section, say, 200 lines, and then a page break and another of 300, etc.?

You can use a simple repeating macro to repeat whichever you use, a paragraph break or a line break (note, though, check your paragraph spacing as to whether you need any additional spacing between paragraphs.

Allen Wyatt's Word Tips at tips.net has this as a suggested repeating code. As he mentions, your work will be made easier if you assign it to an easy keyboard shortcut so you can do it over and over again.

Repeating Actions (Microsoft Word)

I checked the FAQ, I hope it's okay to post a link to another site as I didn't see it was prohibited. This was one of the simpler solutions and clearly explained, and it allows you to do the repeat for all lines at once, or if you have to split them up you can employ it and vary the number for a different section.

Are you assured your numbers will align with your PDF? That seems a tricky consideration.

Best,

Ann