View Single Post

Old 01-12-2021, 07:46 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 10 Office 2019

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito View Post
Thank you for the reply.

But in the second option, how could I set the captions to include the paragraph number (A-1) if Word only allows me to use Headings 1 to 9?

Using this method I will have figures numbered with the last paragraph used with Heading 1.
I assume that the rejected method is that set forth here: How to number headings and figures in Appendixes in Microsoft Word by Shauna Kelly

You can have custom styles for your appendices and attach them to a separate multi-level list. You will need to add those headings to your TOC.

I am unsure whether the custom styles will be included in pdf bookmarks. I suspect it depends on both the method of creating the pdf and options set.

Keep in mind that in using custom styles you will give up the advantages of the built-in headings.

Why use Microsoft Word’s built-in heading styles? by Shauna Kelly

I have not tried it, but it may be possible to create custom styles based on the built-in headings and retain some or all of those built-in headings.

To try this, you would want to create headings 1m-9m based on headings 1-9 and headings 1a-9a also based on the built in headings. Then have one multi-level list attach to the main headings 1m-9m and a second list attach to the appendix headings 1a-9a.