View Single Post

Old 10-08-2020, 12:06 PM
BarnabyS BarnabyS is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

BarnabyS is on a distinguished road
Default Solved

Hi All,

Many thanks for your help, sweeping up your thoughts and links and some web research I have managed to reach my destination.

For those that come after and hoping I manage to use the right words (right order would I suppose be good too) I summarise:

1. To repeat a number of paragraphs of text requires the use of a mapped rich text content control.
2. Because of this there is no point in looking at quick part document properties which is where you will be taken as soon as you google content controls.
3. Once you start looking at content controls and inserting them via the developer menu none of the options offered except rich text content control are useful and they are what nearly all the tutorials teach you about.
4. The various add ins are (I assume) fine but I didn't want to weigh the system down when there was one simple task I was after so...
5. Via another source (Repeat Text in MS Word by Mapping Content Controls with the XML Pane - YouTube), which lead to a small amount of code (Below) on Mr Maxey's site (Content Control Enhancements In Word 2013) I created a text file and imported it via the XML mapping pane and added a rich text content control to my document which then can be copied and pasted.

That code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<DemoXMLNode xmlns="XXX">
<Conclusion></Conclusion>
</DemoXMLNode>

I am now happy.

I guess I am at a difficult stage, specific requirements in the use of Word which are not easy and intuitive and being a yacht surveyor rather than a programmer I run out of vocabulary quickly.

In the end I wiggled there slowly but (simply in my humble opinion) duplicating a few paragraphs of text in a (template) document shouldn't be that difficult and I did have to cut through acres of irrelevant chaff to get there.

Thanks all for your help!

Barney

Last edited by BarnabyS; 10-08-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Innacuracies