View Single Post

Old 10-06-2020, 07:08 AM
kilroyscarnival kilroyscarnival is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010
Expert

kilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nicekilroyscarnival is just really nice
Default Chart with Dynamic Array

We recently changed to Excel (Office) 365.

I've been tasked with creating a template for a series of line charts that will be based on dynamic arrays. I watched some excellent tutorials online, but I'm having a problem getting the chart to accept the input of a dynamic array.

I started by converting my data into a table. I tried using an Index (Match): Index(Match) formula to select the rows between two mileposts (numbers) that can be chosen with two data validation dropdowns. Milepost will be my horizontal axis; there will be anywhere from 4 to 10 columns of data that will be plotted. 365 shows me spilled results that are correct. But when I attempt to make that array formula a named range in Name Manager, and then use that Name in my horizontal access, I get "there's an error in the formula you entered."

=INDEX(Milepost,MATCH(hma_Data!$P$2,Milepost,0)):I NDEX(Milepost,MATCH(hma_Data!$P$3,Milepost,0))

I see that it's replaced selected range (hma_Data!$A$2:$A$500) to the named range "Milepost."

I watched another video that seemed to based the chart on the actual spill array, by selecting the cell where the spill started, and using that cell location ($R$2 in my case) with the # sign. I made this a named range. The chart will not accept that named range either, nor the direct formula of R2#.

I feel like I'm missing the smallest most obvious thing to get it to 'stick' in the chart. Blindspot!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ann