View Single Post

Old 09-20-2020, 08:53 AM
mallorious mallorious is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

mallorious is on a distinguished road
Default Customize document content based on Mail Merge source fields?

I need help thinking through the best solution for some letters I need to create/mail merge. I'm comfortable with mail merge, and from poking around the forum this morning I think using an IF statement or something similar is possible, but that's not something I've done before and I'm not sure it's the solution to my problem.

I need to create letters to mail to individuals who are signed up to work various positions at various sites, and who will complete training on different days at different locations. The various positions and sites have different content (e.g., position description, directions to access a building, etc.). Instead of creating a multitude of base letters for these various situations, I'd like to automate this process (using mail merge?)

So, something like if John's position field is "computer" the letter includes the 3 sentence description of that position. And if his work site is "library" it includes location details and a specific schedule of days and times (in a table if that will work, but I can reformat that if needed). And then if his training field is Oct 3, content about that training day is inserted. And then, of course, John's name and address for mailing.

Even if you have general ideas about an approach, I can do some research on exactly how to execute this. I just figure there has to be a better way than creating a million different versions and only being able to mail merge the address block, but I'm not sure where to start.