View Single Post

Old 09-12-2020, 03:44 AM
wjarek wjarek is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

wjarek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmayor View Post
A zero width space Alt+8203 (or from the Symbols menu a 'No-Width Optional Break') simply inserts a no width space. It does not create a line break. If you want to insert a line break surely you need Shift+Enter?

I would need Shift-Enter if I wanted an enforced line break at a particular location. I want an optional line break at a slash, i.e. if the wrapping is near the slash, then apply it, if not -- do not. Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear.

Quote:
A zero width space will however allow a line to wrap naturally at that point rather than the whole word wrapping to a new line when the line is filled.

Exactly. I am well aware of this. This is what I wanted to achieve but wasn't able to from the Special Characters tab.

Quote:
Both methods of inserting the space appear to work in exactly the same way and if non-printing characters are displayed (¶ button on the Home tab) a symbol that looks like two concentric vertical rectangles is inserted to indicate the character.

My point was that this symbol does NOT show if I use the point-and-click Insert Symbol menu, but it does if I enter the optional break from the keyboard.