View Single Post

Old 08-31-2020, 01:04 AM
ArviLaanemets ArviLaanemets is offline Windows 8 Office 2016
Expert

ArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud ofArviLaanemets has much to be proud of

You can use a simple ODBC Query instead Power Query.

1. In source workbook, data to import must be organized as table (i.e. it must have a single header row with unique headers for every column in table range, and there must not be any gaps in table range). NB! I'm speaking about simple table here, not about Defined Table!
2. You define the table in source workbook as static Named Range (like $A$1:$Z$1000). In case there will be added new entries in future, you may define Named Range with surplus of empty rows at bottom.
3. In your target workbook, on separate sheet you create an ODBC query (Data > From Other Sources > From Microsoft Query > Excel Files) with Named Range in source workbook as data source. Set the query to be refreshed on open. You'll get a current copy of table in source workbook anytime you open your working workbook.

There may be some issues - probably when you have 64-bit windows with 32-bit office. At least we have this setup, and I had to create Open Event for Excel apps, which use ODBC queries to get data from other Excel files. The event edits the Datasource and Querystring every time when file is opened (i.e. simply overwrites them). Without this the query returns an error.