View Single Post

Old 08-28-2020, 05:27 AM
spinn2046@gmail.com spinn2046@gmail.com is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010
Novice

spinn2046@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Default Word form that auto-populates (from Excel sheet) other content controls based on one,manually filled

Word form that auto-populates (from Excel sheet) other content controls based on one, manually filled as first (most important) content control.

To say the truth I don't know whether I should use content controls, ActiveX controls or form fields to create my document.

There is a word document that I create manually and I'd like to automate it's creation process.

There is a dummy excel sheet that contains all data necessary to create this word document and it looks like this:

Then there is a document that needs to be created, that consists of customers personal data like person's registration number, person's full name, person's id type and person's id number. The most important of them all, the one the rest will depend upon, is person's registration number (column "B" in the excel sheet).

In the image below I've selected the text range where the automation needs to be applied.

First content control / form field that's entered manually will be person's registration number (column "B" in the excel sheet). Only digits, 11 of them. And the question is: should I use content control / form field or ActiveX control?? It looks like this:

Once person's registration number is entered I expect the two remaining content control / form field or ActiveX controls auto-populate based on the data from the excel sheet.

Just take the person's registration number (column "B" in the excel sheet) entered in the word document, search it in the excel sheet and extract person's full name (column "D" in the excel sheet) and auto-fill it into the content control / form field or ActiveX control in the word document.

The same needs to be done with person's id number (column "I" in the excel sheet) - I expect it to auto-fill based on data in excel sheet where search is performed using person's registration number (column "B") and person's id number is extracted from column "I" and auto-filled into content control / form field or ActiveX control in the word document.

I've checked this post and it gives some directions but still I don't know which to choose: content controls, ActiveX controls or form fields.

Second thing I don't know, is how to automatically fill the second and third content control based on data entered manually (person's registration number) in the first content control or ActiveX control.

As you can see, unlike the example shown in this video, my document requires 4 different sets of personal data entered respectively in points 2-5. That's why it's so important for me to set these content controls, ActiveX controls or form fields dependent upon the first, manually inserted field - which is in my case - person's registration number (shown in the second image).