View Single Post

Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM
zatlas1 zatlas1 is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Novice

zatlas1 is on a distinguished road
Default error: You are attempting to save a file format that is blocked by file block setting

I installed Office 2010 on my WinXP and everything worked fine for a while. When the problem described herein started, I used the trust center to allow open and save to everything imaginable. Yet I am not able to SAVE any file in any file format, not .doc, not .docx, nothing. The error message is:
You are attempting to save a file format that is blocked by file block setting in your trust center
But this is not true!
I uninstalled and re-installed office, I cleaned the registry, nothing helped.
Note that this is a consumer machine, no network policy!
Please help as the product is virtually useless

Somebody suggested the obvious, to go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922850
to which I replied:
This was the obvious thing to do and I followed all the possible suggestions. The results went between just-did-not-help (I checked all the trust center options to no avail and added my trusted directories with same dismal results) to incomprehensible - Microsoft is talking about the OCT tool which is for administrators (well I am an administrator on my machine) but then it tells you to run some setup.exe (sic) with the /admin parameter from the installation point of the specific product ( what does that mean ????). I tried to run the setup that is available in the 1033 directory from several directories, but all I get is the useless advice to go to control panel.
Obviously, something got corrupted on my machine, but I really do not want to reformat and re-install Windows if I could do something less drastic.
This particular KB article is a prime example of a Microsoft accurate but useless KB article
Thanks
Z. Atlas