View Single Post

Old 08-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Andersn2 Andersn2 is offline Windows 7 64bit Office XP
Advanced Beginner

Andersn2 is on a distinguished road
Default MetConv error on opening Word

This is more a nuissance than a major problem but it is getting old so it would be nice to find a solution if it exists.

I'm in a Windows 10 laptop in which I have installed both Office 2007 and Office 2002. The reason I have both is because I prefer working in 2002 but will occasionally use Office 2007 despite its ribbon. I've done this for many years.

Recently (past few months) I've been getting an error whenever I open Word 2002. The popup error is shown in the screenshot below. I just acknowlege the error and everything continues fine which is why I say it is a nuissance more than a problem.

The MetConv file seems to just be a metric conversion table.
As directed and searched for and viewed the Metconv.log. Two exist:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10
C:\Users\username\Anderon\Local\VirtualStore\Progr am Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10

They are uninformative and identical. Just a list of possible conversions. If I delete them, they are recreated.

I've narrowed down the occurances of this error. It seems to occur if I start up Word 2002 after Word 2007 has been used. So I am guessing (without knowing much about it) that there is a conflict between where 2007 and 2002 put or use their Metconf files, but I really do not know.

Is there something I can do to stop this Metconv error from occuring?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MetConv error.JPG (10.3 KB, 12 views)