View Single Post

Old 08-05-2020, 01:12 PM
Twelvefrets Twelvefrets is offline Mac OS X Office 2016 for Mac
Novice

Twelvefrets is on a distinguished road

Mr. Kenyon. Small update. I stripped out all the formatting for a test section of 2 pages, reinstalling the links. Nothing worked. So I go into a link, re-find the source file, re-link & save. And the link WORKS. So I go back to the original path..and what has changed? The MIDDLE of the path has been filled in;

Originally:

:////users/charlesjohnson/trp-biographies/blake harvey b/t&w slo 1883 (hb blake) copy.pdf

After being re-linked (and working):

:///users/charlesjohnson/desktop/ TRP/trp-biographies/blake harvey b/t&w slo 1883 (hb blake) copy.pdf

So I note there is one less forward slash in address (I don’t know what that means); “desktop” has been added, followed by the “Parent” folder “TRP”, so basically the “middle” of the path: “/desktop/TRP/“

OKAY so I think Im cooking. Go into another hyperlink, make EXACTLY those changes, update link, and….nothing.

So I go in and relink that second hyperlink, and look for the changes to the link address and it is exactly what I had typed in earlier, adding "desktop/TRP/". So methinks something else happens in the PROCESS of linking that is not shown in the address (I recall MACROPOD's mention of a link’s “metadata”—another level of link info.) What does this get me? Not much. But I think I am closer.
I subscribed/loaded Office 365 to see if that helped my version of Word. It did not.