View Single Post

Old 04-01-2020, 09:26 PM
Poida56 Poida56 is offline Windows 10 Office 2010
Novice

Poida56 is on a distinguished road
Angry Creating 'linked' tables with auto update

Peeps
Hope this finds you all well.
I am refining JOB MODULES as a contractor and am having a we bit of trouble with 'ease of use' that I hope I might be missing the solution for.

The Module starts with a 'Table' in which the user populates a 'summary of Tasks' for works to be completed i.e.

TASK 1 PICK UP PERMIT CHECKED DATE
TASK 2 etc. etc.

Each of the TASK labels is in separate rows and each of the items, above, are a separate Column. The document then leads into sperate tables for each of the tasks and, in which, more detail is entrained e.g.

TASK 1 - PICK UP PERMIT
Detail - Contractor to receive and check permits to ensure work is as per etc etc
QA - HOLD (Hold Point) - Contractor to present permit to Administrator etc. etc.

SIGNED DATE:

The TASK summary has its own CELL the DETAIL is in a sperate Cell in another row and then the third 'ROW' is split into two cells for the signature and DATE.

Now - the design of this is 'supposedly' done to abide by the QA International Standard (It doesn't have to but the QA Manager is insistent) and the issue arises in the lack of 'linkage' between the FIRST table and the SECOND.

Quite often these modules have to be updated and the 'owners' are frustrated that they cannot modify the SECOND table and then have the FIRST table modify itself and they see this as double handling.

What I HAVE done is to 'DESIGN' a numbering regime, in the number formats, that reflects TASK#1, TASK#2 etc and have also designed a "QUICK TABLE" for the second table so that the user can just INSERT a table and the TASK numbering adapts to the inserted item.
What I CANNOT master is getting the fields in the first table to be able to update these changes i.e like a TOC.

Before you ask I HAVE devised a TOC without numbering to make changing the first table Semi Automatic but the 'gurus' here want the first table to be a table that allows for signature so as to 'sign off' on the QA requirements...….

Any thoughts?

Oh and pls keep the SQL or programming to a minimum as this has to be do by hairy chested fitters as well...

PR