View Single Post

Old 03-03-2020, 04:48 PM
cupsay cupsay is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Novice

cupsay is on a distinguished road
Default Unable to link full excel worksheet into word using insert object

Hi,

I prepare a weekly report in word that has tables of statistics with associated bar charts that represent the stats relative to each other. The tables and charts are in an Excel worksheet.

I googled how to do it so that when I changed anything in the Excel worksheet it was updated in the word document.

The sequence was: On the home toolbar select Insert>Text>Object>Create from File>Browse>(find my Excel workbook and select Insert)>Link to file>Ok

The first few times this worked as I desired it to. Anything I was unhappy with (in terms of fonts/layout etc.) I could go to the Excel worksheet edit a change then update the Word document which would reflect that change.

Then the problems started - When I linked the Excel it would only show on the Word as the first few rows of the Excel... If I didn't select 'Link to file' and just selected 'OK' after browsing to locate the Excel it would insert the worksheet in its entirety into the Word but, of course this insert could not be edited on the word or from the Excel.

The first time it did this I bashed around from pillar to post and suddenly it worked again but I had no idea how I got it to work and haven't been able to do it again.

I have read other requests for similar help but the responses have cut and paste the tables and charts from Excel to Word. This is not linking which is what I want to achieve.

Any pointers would be appreciated.