View Single Post

Old 02-09-2020, 02:25 PM
macropod macropod is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Administrator

macropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg2 View Post
I didn't set out to insert a 'picture'. I followed online Word/Excel instructions and your assistance with the operation. As far as I knew and as stated by Word in the paste process, I was pasting, special, object, link to allow for an automatically updating table cell to a corresponding Excel cell.
The auto-updating is achieved via the 'paste link' option. Also I also said, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
If the pasted content isn't formatted quite how you'd like it, you might try one of the other 'Paste Special (paste link)' options. Paragraph alignments, though, would be controlled within Word.
Quote:
I'm not interested in deleting resulting formatting codes or dealing with switches that should or shouldn't be present owing to an incorrect table creation. I'd just as soon get the table correct from the outset.
That's all very well but, unless you want to re-do all the copying & pasting, that's the easiest way of remedying the issue. For the future, do one copy and experiment with the different 'Paste Special (paste link)' options to see which one best meets your formatting requirements.
Quote:
Is there a way, other than trial and error, guessing how many inches wide (which is one of the reasons I've abandoned tables previously) to initially set a new table comprised of 2 columns with equal widths and those widths added together come close to the L/R document margins thereby providing the most space within the two equal columns?
By default, Word will insert a table that fills the space between the margins and will evenly-space the columns. However, unless you edit the table properties to set the preferred widths for the table and its columns, plus uncheck the 'automatically resize to fit contents' option, none of those dimensions is fixed. The same applies to row heights.
Quote:
Further, since you're implying that inserting the Excel cell as an object is in fact a picture and that is not the best method to copy/paste an Excel updating, numeric/formula cell, then what is the correct/better Word, paste special procedure?
See previous comments.