View Single Post

Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 AM
markg2 markg2 is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Expert

markg2 is on a distinguished road

<<<<<table that doesn't have the column widths defined with a 'preferred width' (even the table lacks a 'preferred width')<<<<<

Okay, I incorrectly presumed, hardly ever using tables, if I Insert/Table/click boxes wide & down, that what you point to as 'even lacks...' would have been provided as basic formatting by MS using their 'automatic' table or at least be prompted in the process given the apparent importance of the format.

I didn't set out to insert a 'picture'. I followed online Word/Excel instructions and your assistance with the operation. As far as I knew and as stated by Word in the paste process, I was pasting, special, object, link to allow for an automatically updating table cell to a corresponding Excel cell. Intuitively, I wouldn't expect a picture to equate to a pasted Excel, updating formula.

I'm not interested in deleting resulting formatting codes or dealing with switches that should or shouldn't be present owing to an incorrect table creation. I'd just as soon get the table correct from the outset.

Is there a way, other than trial and error, guessing how many inches wide (which is one of the reasons I've abandoned tables previously) to initially set a new table comprised of 2 columns with equal widths and those widths added together come close to the L/R document margins thereby providing the most space within the two equal columns?

Further, since you're implying that inserting the Excel cell as an object is in fact a picture and that is not the best method to copy/paste an Excel updating, numeric/formula cell, then what is the correct/better Word, paste special procedure?

Mark