View Single Post

Old 01-27-2020, 02:48 PM
Jennifer Murphy Jennifer Murphy is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Competent Performer

Jennifer Murphy is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Paul. Here's the problem. It is specifically relevant to endnotes, not footnotes. There is little need for hyperlinks for footnotes as they are on the same page.

(1) I create an endnote after some text by clicking on References | Insert Endnote.

After I enter the endnote text, I see a little "i" superscript after the text, but it is not a hyperlink and I can't find any way to make it one. It is not even a field, which was a surprise to me.

If the paper is dozens of pages long and has dozens of endnotes, a hyperlink would be helpful if getting to the right one.

(2) I create a second reference to that same endnote after some other text by clicking on References | Cross-reference | selecting Endnote | selecting Endnote number (formatted) | and then selecting the endnote.

I see a little "i" next to that text. It looks similar to the first superscript, but not identical. If I hover over it, I see a finger suggesting it is a hyperlink, but Ctrl+Click foes not jump to the endnote.

It shows as shaded so it is a field. If I expand it, I see:

Code:
{ NOTEREF _Ref31024608 \f \h  \* MERGEFORMAT}
If I delete the MERGEFORMAT, then is is formatted like the first one.

Questions:
  1. Why is the first reference not a hyperlink?
  2. Why does the second reference look like a hyperlink, but doesn't act like one?
-puzzled