View Single Post

Old 12-09-2019, 04:16 PM
PrincessApril PrincessApril is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Competent Performer

PrincessApril is on a distinguished road
Default Allow User to Define Tooltip Upon Data Entry

Hi all,

I am hoping for some direction rather than a full solution here so that I can try to research it myself. I'm just having trouble with where to look for info.

So I have rows full of cells where the user chooses an integer from 1 to 32. These represent work units (each unit = 15 minutes). The user is logging how much time was spent on various tasks each day. The user performs work throughout the day and continually logs the units (2 here, 1 there, 4 there, etc.), working from left to right. I have the daily and monthly totals being autocalculated.

However, it is easy to forget which units correspond to work with which clients (every unit is tied to a client). A user might not remember if s/he entered units earlier in the day and accidentally enter those units twice or not at all. It would be wonderful if I could allow the user to be prompted to enter a tooltip where they could enter the client's initials that go with each unit entry. So each cell still displays an integer, but when the user hovers over it, the tooltip shows the client's initials as a memory recall tool. The user would have to be prompted to enter those initials after selecting the integer unit from my existing dropdown I suppose. I could make separate columns of course, but then I will have a whole lot of columns, and I try not to make users scroll horizontally whenever possible. That's why I was thinking of a tooltip.

Any guidance on what topics I should be researching? I want to put the effort in myself of course, but I'm just not sure where to start.