View Single Post

Old 12-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Madbeggar Madbeggar is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

Madbeggar is on a distinguished road
Default Text/Font Space Parameters

Please forgive my ignorance - first time poster.
If I type some text and then select that text, the text is highlighted by a gray selection "box". This is normal.

What determines the size and position of this box relative to the actual characters? I assume that the gray space is determined by some qualities of the font or line spacing, but I don't know how to control/modify it.

Here's the current application I'm working on that brings up this query: I wanted to print some labels to insert into the spine sleeve of a three-ring binder. I typed out the titles in big letters on standard letter-size paper (landscaped) with the intention to cut them out into the 1" or 1-1/2" widths as required for the binder width. It occurred to me to put the titles into a text box in order to restrain the dimensions appropriately, e.g., 1"X10", and I could also use the box as cut lines.

After typing a title (centered vertically and horizontally) into a text box, I selected it and increased the font size to the maximum that the box would hold. At some point the letters were forced out of center and their bottoms were disappearing out of the text box, despite there being plenty of room for the actual letters. It seems that whatever quality defines the selection box was bumping against the top of my text box and forcing the increasingly larger text down and out of it.

Someone, please school me on this subject.