View Single Post

Old 11-24-2019, 12:46 PM
daithy daithy is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Advanced Beginner

daithy is on a distinguished road
Default Moving pictures/tables with captions

Hi,

I am writing a report for college. I need to use some graphics like pictures and graphs. I need to name them as Fig. 1, 2, 3, etc.

I understand that Word can do this by adding a caption with a label to the picture. Nice! Also I can use styles/caption to modify. Nice!

But, as writing goes in can be quite messy in early stages where the structure can get moved a lot, content added/removed.

So my problem is as follows. I write and keep adding graphics from various sources. I add caption and references. Word keeps the numbering going automatically. Fig. 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

But when I decide to move a heading or the picture to a different position within the document, word doesn't change the numbering accordingly. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even moved the caption with the picture .

Example, I have Fig. 1, Fig. 2, Fig 3.
Fig. 3 now gets moved to the start of the document. Now we have Fig. 3, Fig. 2, Fig. 1 instead of the proper descending order.

And the caption doesn't move with the picture.

How do people deal with this issue? I supposed I could just add pictures and add captions in the final stage, but I would much prefer to do it as I go.

Am I doing something wrong?