View Single Post

Old 11-13-2019, 07:30 AM
William647 William647 is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

William647 is on a distinguished road

Q: "...If they are photos, 200dpi is the maximum resolution that should be needed,..."

A: I found that, in an email, last year, I was advised to make "all images" 300 dpi.

Q: "You do not need a 64-bit program."

A: That IS a good question.

Since I feel as though I got a good deal, on MS Word, I am not regretting the purchase.

Given the 300 dpi requirement (above), though, I would only switch the book over, to 64-bit program, for 'peace of mind'. So, perhaps, that is my answer. Maybe I should make the switch, for 'peace of mind'. No matter what I do, re-scanning the images is likely to add months, onto my schedule.

So, perhaps, I should just make the switch and be done with it!

On the other hand, I am not looking forward to, essentially, re-writing the book/volume, again!

Q: "Any downsampling should be done using proper bitmap editors like Adobe Photoshop, Paint.Net or similar."

A: I have been using Paint.Net and similar, for image re-sizing and the placing of black boxes, over phone numbers plus the like.

Q: "JPG adds fuzzy edges to areas of black on white like text (especially around diagonal lines)."

A: I did not know that.

Q: "If you only have JPGs then it is too late but if you could recapture the lineart images as PNGs then I think you can make some significant size savings and increase quality."

A: Since I have to re-do all the images, at 300 dpi, and they are all .jpgs, then I will, instead, make them all PNGs.

Thanks!

- William647
Toronto, Canada

UPDATE:

November 13, 2019

Q: "You do not need a 64-bit program."

A: While investigating PNG vs. JPG, this morning, I soon realized that, for me, the 64-bit program was absolutely imperative.

My scanner is a Canon 9000F Mark II and it has already been automatically scanning, @ 300 dpi, plus saving in jpg format. Moreover, the jpgs were automatically being compressed, to the "standard" extent. Hence, on average, image sizes were roughly 1.5 MB each.

Getting the scanner to switch to PNG, however, increased the average image size to approximately 3.6 MB.

So, that, in my opinion, settled that question.

Since individual chapters might contain as many as 30-40 large images, I HAVE to switch to MS Word.

- William647