View Single Post

Old 10-16-2019, 03:31 AM
Waminathor Waminathor is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Waminathor is on a distinguished road
Default Protect from editing first page while having full editing capabilities in rest of document

Hello all,

I'm working on setting a document template for all the documents that my team and I will have to deliver in our R&D work project. our customer requires to have a formatted first page with, among other, an ID number of the document (a dedicated code that would identify the document in the customer file system) and an issue and revision number. all those information will have to be visible on all the pages of the documents.

We are a quite big team working on those documents and as such I would like to have a "stupid-proof" solution to ensure that the template would not be modified inadvertantly by one of the writer that would have forgotten about the "rules" set in the template.

However, those rules would apply mostly only to the first page, while the rest of the document that they will write will need to be edited freely, notably having the possibility to add pictures and caption, to do track changes and so forth.

As such, i would like to find a way to only restrict the first page while leaving full editing possibility in the rest of the document.

One "semi-solution" that I found is to set in the first page "Text form fields" (Developer>Controls>Legacy forms) wherever I would like to allow the writer to modify the content in the first page, but not to delete the field. notably, there would be then such a "Text form field" for the doc ID and the issue and revision number. I then place this first page in a separate section (with then a "Section Break (next page)" at the end of it).

In order to get the required fields in the rest of the document, I can place in the header of each subsequent page a cross-reference to the bookmark created with the "Text form field".

When this is done, i can set up "Restrict Editing", check "Allow only this type of editing" > Filling in forms and then "Select Sections" > Section 1 (my first page).

with this set-up, my first page is protected as I want. however, the rest of the document CANNOT be modified fully freely, in the sense that Track changes option is not available and if I place a picture or a table, I cannot add a caption, two things that are required for us to do our job with the documents properly.

Is there any way around this issue? how can i ensure that the "Text form fields" will not be inadvertently deleted from the front page by the writer while ensuring that they can fully edit, comment and write their document after the front page as they want?