View Single Post

Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM
yarrington yarrington is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

yarrington is on a distinguished road
Default Document Merge and IF statement

I am new to mail merge or document merge. I do have a programing background, but never had to do this before so please be patient as I try to explain.

The company I work for has acquired some software where any custom reporting is done through word or excel merge. They simply provided a document with all the oracle database tables' fields such as {FLPM3100_V.FL3100_SCOPE_DESC}which they want you to copy paste to the template you want to make. Upload it to their server run the report and thus retrieves the values in the format you set. Now this works fine but when it comes to fields that are left empty like an address or a cost I need to write a condition statement to not include "," or "$" so on. I've been reading on mail merge and how it works, and syntax needed and I thought I had it but I think I am missing something int he syntax, although I don't get an error, it does not give me the correct results.
What I have is { IF { MERGEFIELD FLPM2030_V.FL2030_PMP_ADD_LINE3 } = "" "" ","} I inserted this basic statement using the insert tab then quick parts >field>mail merge>mergefield in word. I then deleted what was inside and went to same menu options and in the dialog where it says field name I pasted FLPM2030_V.FL2030_PMP_ADD_LINE3. Which I am assuming the first part of the period is reference to database and second half is actual table field name. Since it is a black box into the system and it's repository, I don't know for sure, but I know that when I reference the fields this way without any conditions the values display.

Could someone please clarify what I am doing wrong?

Thanks