View Single Post

Old 09-10-2019, 12:39 AM
Sarcas Sarcas is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Sarcas is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for ideas for a foolproof password-protected template/document

Hi there,
I don't have much experience with Word macro's, and no VBA experience at all. I have experience with scripting/coding/programming on various other platforms though.

In my office a default Word document is used for the daily reports. All (about six) users open the document multiple times a day to add reports. The first person has to open the doc and do a 'save-as' with our particular date-filename-name. The original document is password encrypted (as are it's save-as-copies) since it contains sensitive info.

The original document gets messed up often, because people accidentally do 'save', or accidentally change things in the formats or in the pre-typed texts or do other creative things...

I tried making the document a template (.dotx). This works fine, except that the password is not passed on the the 'save-as''d document. And my users will forget/can't do it themselves. I have spend considerable time explaining how to use 'save-as' and it still goes wrong often.

I am looking for a way to fix the problem without having to explain the users any new way of working... It is a challenge, yes. A way to have the password transfer to the next doc would be perfect. Somewhere I found some VBA code I tried, but Word keeps displaying macro warnings when opening the template, and I know my users with panic, even if I explain what to do.

Any ideas how to tackle my problems are welcomed! Except getting new colleagues. I like them

Thank you for your time.

S.

(Configuration: Office 365 on Windows 10/8/ & MacOS & iOS and Android phones - the doc is mailed daily to teammembers and needs to be readable on all platforms)