Thread: [Solved] Multi-level list Weirdness
View Single Post

Old 08-19-2019, 05:12 AM
jthomas666 jthomas666 is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Competent Performer

jthomas666 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
So I'm working on a doc with a 7-level multi-level list. I was having no problems editing. Saved the document. PDFed the document. Everything looks good.

Then I reopened the document.

for the 6 and 7th levels, the numbered list is simply a black block. the block even displayed on the two styles in the style gallery (see attachment).

If I change the list level to anything other than 6 or 7, the numbers display correctly.

Also, for 6 and 7, if I right-click on the black block, no numbered-list options display in the context menu.

If I copy a list and paste it into a new document, 6 and 7 display correctly. If I use the format painter to try and paste the correct format back to the original document, it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Note: the document in question is a secure document, so I cannot post it here.
Need to make a correction. When I copied the list earlier, I did not copy the h1 paragraph. This morning I copied the entire list to a new document, and the weirdness was copied as well. I then did the following:

1. Deleted the h1 paragraph. The h6 and h7 styles in the style gallery reverted to normal (no black blocks). The h6 and h7 paragraphs themselves still had the blocks.

2. Reapplied h6 and h7. The paragraphs then displayed correctly.

3. Added a new h1 paragraph at the beginning of the list. The h6 and h7s all went blocky again--however, the styles in the style gallery displayed correctly. Reapplied the styles, and they were corrected as well.

4. Went back to original document, deleted all h1 paragraphs. no change to h6 and h7.

sigh.