View Single Post

Old 08-10-2019, 02:04 AM
Lugh Lugh is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Competent Performer

Lugh is on a distinguished road

I gave up on Master Docs after about a month of testing them around 10-15 years ago. Too many problems, and I've never seen anyone say that they've improved since.

As Charles says, use Styles. They will make your life so much easier.

Quote:
5. Adding a table of content and a bibliography was pretty simple in the appended document.
You know how the Headings Styles will automatically create an auto-updating ToC for you? Marry that with showing the Nav Pane for a simple way of getting around your doc.

Quote:
6. Simple drawings were prepared in Excel
I have to guess that a simple drawing program would be better.
Quote:
each time I re-opened the Word-document the size of linked pictures was sometimes lost
Did you save the pictures as separate files and use Insert to put them in the doc? Sounds like maybe not…

Quote:
the tool feature of Word is very versatile. Easy to change formatting and content afterwards
Not sure what you're referring to with 'tool feature', but don't use the toolbar buttons for formatting—that road leads to the insane asylum Use Styles.
Quote:
Make sure that you do not included too many lines with the Enter-key
Do NOT use the Enter key anywhere in your document other than to create a new paragraph for content. Never for blank lines.

Btw blank lines do not work to provide breaks in ebooks—most reading devices discard them. You need a paragraph with some symbol like an asterisk for the break to show.