View Single Post

Old 08-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 10 Office 2016

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
3. I failed using Word's sub- and master document features. It was a nightmare, because I got unpredictable results (formatting and changing sub-documents). As said before my knowledge of Word is average at best.
4. To remedy the failures from point 3 I appended each file getting a long document. From the very beginning each chapter was included into a separate file and after appending them to a long document I had to slightly change the numbering of chapters and page numbers ( continue from previous!). Total size of file only around 4 MB compared to the theoretical max from Word of 32 MB.
The Master Documents "Feature" has a very long history of causing problems. It has never really worked as advertised.

It is hard to figure whether a document is within the maximum because the maximums do not include images but only text. It is hard to write a Word document that exceeds the maximums.

Quote:
9. Last but not least saving the Word document as pdf is now an easy task. Make sure that you do not included too many lines with the Enter-key. The pdf-format will rearrange chapters and paragraphs. Use page-breaks instead!

Use Styles. Use Styles. Use Styles.
Importance of Styles in Word
I cannot over-emphasize this!

Where page breaks are desired, format the paragraph that is to start the new page with the formatting "Page Break Before." This can and should be part of the style definition for a heading style.
The heading styles can be a real help.
Why use Microsoft Word’s built-in heading styles? by Shauna Kelly