View Single Post

Old 08-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Swarup Swarup is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Competent Performer

Swarup is on a distinguished road
Default How to add a running tally of "page # per # of pages in chapter" in lower right corner of footer

In my document I have the page number in the middle of the footer. This page number is of course a running count that goes from the beginning to the end of the book. I would like to add in the right corner of the footer a running tally of the page number per number of pages in the chapter.

So for example if page number 59 of the book is the 3rd page of chapter 4, and if chapter 4 has ten pages in it, then there will be a "59" in the middle of the footer to reflect that overall page number, and in the right corner of the footer it will say "3 of 10" to show that this is the third page of ten pages in the chapter.

I am ready to add this notation by hand for the entire document; the problem I am facing is that in my document, each chapter is a section. Even if one has set the headers to be different for even pages vs odd pages, still, MS Word makes the footer the same for all the even numbered pages of a section (as it does for odd pages). So it is not permitting me to make page 2 of the chapter have "2 of 4" in the right corner, whereas page 4 of the same chapter to have "4 of 4". Short of making each and every page a separate section, is there any way to create this running tally in the right corner of the footer?

Last edited by Swarup; 08-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.