View Single Post

Old 07-16-2019, 09:53 AM
cancerresearcher cancerresearcher is offline Mac OS X Office 2016
Novice

cancerresearcher is on a distinguished road
Default Macro in Word to find specific words? Will be used for good cause (prostate cancer research)

Ok so I'm working on doing some data mining from an electronic medical record, but using Microsoft Word (or any other program that you guys may know of) to help me find keywords (from text that I paste into the document) without having to search for them manually.
How this would work ideally would be something like this:
1. have a chart with multiple specific keywords in Column A.
2. Paste text from electronic medical record into Microsoft Word (or any other program)
3. the macro searches for the keywords I assign to it
4. If keywords are found, it in the text field, it would paste the word immediately before or after the keyword.

For example, I may have multiple keywords in this document, but one keyword that Word would look for would be a SHIM score. Hence, word would search the document for "SHIM" from within the text that I paste into the macro. I then paste a large amount of text into Word and it searches for SHIM, BUT the macro pastes the values found immediately before or after the keyword in the document. Let's say in the document it says "SHIM 25" so in the chart, under SHIM, it will display the number 25 for me automatically in the second column.

Something like this would be immensely helpful in data mining. It would allow my team and me to enter data far quicker and produce lots of peer reviewed research in a much quicker fashion. This research would go on to help men all over the world with prostate cancer.

Any assistance to help with this would be GREATLY appreciated. If it's not possible, I am also happy to accept this outcome but figured I would reach out to some experts in this forum first for help.

Thanks so much in advance!