View Single Post

Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Swarup Swarup is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Competent Performer

Swarup is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to add a large list of words into spell checker: additional custom dictionary

Here it is in brief: I want to add a list of 5000 English words into a custom dictionary which I created, but the "add word" window only seems to allow for adding one word at a time. Is there a way to add a list of words in bulk, into a newly created custom dictionary?

-----------------
Here is the detailed version of my question:

I am reviewing the instructions for adding a custom dictionary in MS Word, and it gives two methods; I am not sure whether either is designed for what I need to do. One method is to "Create an additional custom dictionary", and the other method is to "Import an existing custom dictionary from another computer". I think I shall probably have to use the first method, but wanted to confirm with you experts as to whether what I have in mind will be the best approach.

Here is what I want to do: I have two extensive, specialized word lists existing in my Linux computer which I want to add/import into the MS Word spell checker for use in spell checking my Word documents. In particular, I have a 330 page document containing both English and Hindi passages, and I would like to spell check the whole document in one go using the "spell checking as you type" feature. To achieve this, I am thinking to bring these two word list files from my Linux computer, create two additional custom dictionaries, and paste one word list into each of the custom dictionaries. One of the word lists is a list of technical English words, and the other word list is a Hindi word list. The English word list contains around 5,000 words, and the Hindi word list contains around 80,000 words. Is there a way to copy past a large list of words like this directly into the new custom dictionary which I've created? Or is the dictionary going to want me to add words one at a time--in which case it is not going to serve my purposes. I don't think I can use the second option, that of importing an existing custom dictionary, as my word lists are not of format .dic. They are text files.

My goal is to spell check the English and Hindi passages simultaneously. That is why I am thinking to create a custom dictionary in the English spell checker, and populate it with Hindi words.