View Single Post

Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Izzii0x Izzii0x is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Izzii0x is on a distinguished road
Default Tell me which place the vlookup was successful (within a nested vlookup)

Hi guys,

So I have a few sheets which contain data that has been delegated amongst various staff, and staff may be using this data on different workbooks and making notes.

I wanted to create a spreadsheet for searching for the data - i.e. someone can go in and type customer name John Doe and it would return "In document A" and then perhaps another column would bring back the notes from that customer.

I understand how to do the nested vlookups to see info from whichever document the data is in - but how can I create a formula which tells me where the vlookup has been successful? I found this on the web but I can only get it to work for 1 place and when I try to create "if false then..." scenarios it doesn't seem to work.

Code:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,$E$2:$E$185,1,FALSE)),"False","TRUE")
Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't have any tester data now as so far just testing it out with writing in 4 columns "A", "B", "C", "D" and trying to use the formula above to tell me which column the letter I type into the box is - with no luck!

Thanks in advance!