View Single Post

Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Loftless Organist Loftless Organist is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

Loftless Organist is on a distinguished road
Default Charts in Templates

I have set up quite a complicated report which includes line charts. For every new client I have, I copy this master Word doc to create a new report to which I can add bespoke text and amend the chart data.

When I copy the master report to create a new report, I simply select the graph and right click and select 'Edit Data'. I can then edit the data to make the graph specific to to that report. The problem is, if I then go to an old report which I produced some weeks ago, when I click to edit the chart, it pops up with the data from the last report I produced and the chart get changed accordingly (with the incorrect data).

I think I know why. When I created the master Word document, the chart is linked to a an Excel file somewhere on my computer. However, when I copy it, the copied Word doc is also linked to that same Excel file. Effectively, I end up with hundreds of reports all linked to the same Excel file.

How should I best set up my master Word doc so a new Excel file is created when I want to create a new report? Can anyone help please?