View Single Post

Old 06-05-2019, 08:36 AM
zephyrus17 zephyrus17 is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

zephyrus17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Excel vs Access .... kinda like do I buy a Chevrolet or a Ford ?

Having said the above, there will be those who will post their responses here with a list of pros and cons for using each. My personal opinion is Excel will do the job just fine.
To be honest, I am leaning towards Excel if that is the case as I have never used Access. So there's an extra learning curve there in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
How it may be done with Excel:
You have a table where all items/reciepes/whatever are registered, along with fields for search criterions. Going with your example - ReciepeName, Country, Type, Class, ...;
Then in another table you have details for those items/reciepes/whatever registered (e.g. Reciepe, Ingridient, Quantity);
You also need a separate tables for every search criterion from 1st table - so you can use data validation lists for entering data into 1st table, and for setting report criterions.
Then in separate sheet you can select criterion values. And on same sheet, or in some hidden one you need a table, where a list of items/reciepes/whatever matching selected criterions from 1st sheet is generated (worksheet formulas will do nicely);
On same sheet where you did set criterions for report, you can also select a item/reciepe/whatever from this generated list (Data Validation again). Based on this last selection, the report is generated (e.g. the name of reciepe, and below it the list of ingridents and their quantities).
Thank you very much for helping. I will need to take some time to wrap around what you've said and to try it out myself.