View Single Post

Old 06-04-2019, 02:58 PM
zephyrus17 zephyrus17 is offline Windows 10 Office 2019
Novice

zephyrus17 is on a distinguished road
Default Generate custom report based on user selection?

Hi all, I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain well, but I'll give it a shot.

I would like to create a 'program' that can generate a custom document containing tables that can be printed out. The user selects categories by ticking check boxes or something, to generate what's in the finalized document.

The usage is for an engineering context, but I'll try to come up with a simple example. Say I have 30 cookbook recipes that are either Italian or Chinese cuisine. And within each cuisine there's soups, salads, roasts, entrées, etc., whatever. A user will open up this tool, select what he/she wants via a selection, then a finalized cookbook will be generated for printing or sharing. So they can just do all the Italian dishes, or only the vegetarian dishes from either cuisine, etc.

I was initially wanting to do it in Excel, but was told that Access is better for databases. Which is better? Or, should I be totally looking at something else altogether? I'd like the 'program' to be usable by anyone with just some clicks, and not needing to be an Excel or Access or programming expert. It should also be portable so that the 'program' can be shared to other people.

Thank you very much in advance for all your help!