View Single Post

Old 05-26-2019, 05:27 AM
Editor Editor is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Editor is on a distinguished road

But it is definitely possible to see the pre-edited version easily. Simply go Review > Tracking group > top drop-down menu with the following 4 options: Original (the one I want), All Markup, Simple Markup, and No Markup.

Word has an easy way to toggle between show/hide edits, and I thought the option I'm looking for would be just as easy to turn on and off. But I've become persuaded that it isn't, so at the recommendation of another colleague, I've recorded the steps above as a macro. And I've also had to record 2 of the other views, since the easy toggle show/hide button won't work if I'm in Original view. Not elegant, no.

I was surprised that I couldn't find my question asked anywhere, because I often need to switch between the original and edited versions of a doc. Until now, I've opened up both as separate files, but that's not as convenient to toggle between when, as typical, I have more than 2 documents open.

Thank you for your efforts and for linking to your site, which looks like it will be a good resource for other questions that will come up.