View Single Post

Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 10 Office 2016

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezix View Post
Starting in 2019 I changed some of the styles in Normal.dot, saved the template as My Template.dot, changed the name of Normal.dot to Normal (Backup).dot and then created some new documents using My Template.dot.

Now when I open a document that I created before 2019 the document opens using the styles that were saved in that document instead of the styles that are in My Template.dot.

No matter if I open a document that was created before 2019 or one that I created after 2019, and then click File > Properties, the Summaries tab shows Normal.dot as the template in use.

How can I make those documents that I created before 2019 automatically use My Template.dot instead of using the styles that were saved in those documents?
  1. For Word versions 2007 and later, the basic template is normal.dotm, not normal.dot. Since display of filename extensions is hidden by default, this can be confusing. That extension display setting is a Windows setting, not a Word setting.
  2. While the "Automatically Update" styles to the template can be useful, it should be left turned off for most documents after an initial update.
    What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess up my formatting?
    Why has my page layout changed when I open my document on a different machine? by Suzanne Barnhill, MVP
  3. You can set things so that a different template than the normal template is the default for new documents. That different template can contain text.
    Letterhead AddIn(s) - Default New Document