View Single Post

Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 PM
Anne-KZN Anne-KZN is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Anne-KZN is on a distinguished road
Default Header and Footer 'tags'

Hi, all - I'm new, and from South Africa. Firstly I should mention that if it was possible to use the old version of Word, 2007 or earlier, I would in a heartbeat. So I tend to be irritated by most things in Word these days.

I use complicated header and footers, with tables and lines to give me a border on my sheets which does not move with text, but creates a new page when necessary. I know all about breaking links between them by adding a next page break, and I've been using them for years. I now need to change some things, and this change has resulted in the tables getting slightly smaller, which means I have to adjust the lines which connect the top and bottom tables to give me a border.

And there's the rub - firstly, the bottom table WILL NOT let me specify a table width so that I can ensure that the top and bottom tables are exactly the same and connect neatly with the lines. I've been into this on the internet and I can't find a solution - Microsoft appears to believe that 'preferred width' is good enough, which it isn't. So if anyone has a solution to this I'd be grateful.

The second irritation is that when I go into headers and footers I get these REALLY annoying little tags which say things like Header - Section 5, or Footer Section 4' or whatever, on the left, and on the right they say Same as Previous (which it is in some cases).

The insult to all our intelligences is one thing. But most annoying is that they are positioned so that I cannot seen where the line joining the header and footer actually is, when I want to lengthen it or move it slightly.

Please tell me there is a way I can SWITCH THESE OFF?