View Single Post

Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 PM
RP McIntosh RP McIntosh is offline Windows 10 Office 2010
Novice

RP McIntosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macropod View Post
Your description suggests the document has acquired some of corruption. Corrupt documents can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document based on the same template (headers & footers may need to be copied separately), closing the old document and saving the new one over it.

Alternatively, it may be that the table underlying the graph has acquired some of corruption. Corrupt tables (which the above process won't repair) can often be 'repaired' by:
• converting the tables to text and back again;
• cutting & pasting them to another document that you save the document in RTF format, which you then close then re-open before copying them back to the source document; or
• saving the document in RTF format, closing the original document then opening it the RTF version, then saving that in the doc(x) format.
Do note that some forms of table corruption can only be repaired by the first method. I'm also not sure what effect this process might have on your graph.

Having said all that, I'm wondering why you don't do all this tracking & graphing in Excel. An appropriately-configured Excel worksheet would allow you to track the data continuously and produce graphs spanning any period of interest.
Paul,

Thanks for the response. First, let me apologize for posting duplicate threads. It was not my intention to do so. I'm new to the forum, and apparently (by accident), posted my original thread where it belonged. However, when I got no responses, I came back looking for it, and couldn't find it (because I was in the wrong forum, of course), so I came to the incorrect conclusion that I must have failed to post it correctly. That's when I created the second thread, which indeed, was a duplicate of the first. Now that I'm a bit more familiar with where I am, I'll take care not to make that kind of faux pas in the future.

Now for your comments. The possibility that the document had become corrupted did occur to me. And it is certainly possible. However, in an effort to check this possibility out, I took the following actions. Instead of the current month, I tried opening up a past month (actually, four different ones), and editing each of them, and got the same behavior. However, I COULD still edit them on the Windows 7 system. I can sort of understand how I might get different behavior when I edit a document prepared in Word 2010, but edited in Word XP. But why I get it in a document prepared in Word 2010, and edited in Word 2010 (but on a different machine) perplexes me. I'd certainly be willing to try your suggestion, but in the edited document, I am unable to even view most of the existing chart, much less access the end of the document to insert a new paragraph.

To show you what I am experiencing, I'm uploading two documents. The first one, Wght0119.doc is the current document that I'm (trying to) work on. The second, Wght0718.doc is the same document as it originally appeared. This second document, of course, was edited every day during the month of July, 2018. And it was initially created by editing the Wght0618.doc file, and so on. Hopefully, you will see something that gives you a clue what is happening.

I understand your suggestion to use an Excel spreadsheet instead of a Word document. Probably not a bad idea. But I started these monthly documents several years ago, have kept hard copies in a binder, and would like to continue to do that if I can make it work, since it is, at its roots, a very simple document, and also to maintain the format I've used all this time for consistency's sake.

I do appreciate your willingness to help, and welcome any suggestions or insights you have.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Wght0119.doc (41.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: doc Wght0718.doc (59.5 KB, 8 views)