Thread: [Solved] Merging multiple records
View Single Post

Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 PM
mdlewis mdlewis is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010
Novice

mdlewis is on a distinguished road

I have a client who generate the info from another package into a txt file which I will translate into relevant related tables. The master table is the merge data and I had hoped to link the related data into tables/database merge fields.

The client wants a document whose fields and layout may be added to, changed etc for any particular run - and then possibly changed again - several sources of massaging and data display. So the exercise may be repeated as if it were a single level document .

The subsidiary table info would be then be resourced afresh for each "re-run" so any already made change to generated documents, would be overwitten - same names.

I've thought of another way to give ultimate flexibility, if a subsidiary, non merge doc can be linked into a merge doc so that each main merge record can find the doc.

For a given set of records.

1. Place the table/database field into a separate - single level - merge doc based on the main merge dataset.
2. Run it and generate the doc for each instance into a carefully named ordinary word doc.

3. Run the main merge doc and dynamically add in a subsidiary (non merge) doc as generated above. (1:1) All fields would be changeable - the merge fields and layout and the local fields in the attached doc.

This depends on word merge being able to "link", "add in" a subsidiary carefully named doc.

As the number of records in the main set will not be very large, this may be possible using an extended If statement. The records in the set will always have a field 1,2,3,4, etc which appears as the start of the name of the parallel generated non-merge doc,. although a variably named "link" "add in" would be preferable.