View Single Post

Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Guessed Guessed is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Expert

Guessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant futureGuessed has a brilliant future

I've now taken a look at your file and am wondering how the barcode graphic is configured. Is this an embedded graphic which is generated elsewhere or can you just punch in a string of characters in Visio to change the barcode?

In setting the file up for automation, your goal should be to make as few changes as possible for each iteration.

For instance, I would create a document property and then use a field to that in the text string at the bottom of each page. If you open the Document Shapesheet, you can add a row in the User-defined cells and rename it DocID. Give it a value such as your example "MS0123456789". Then in each of the text boxes you add a field for this value by going to Insert > Field and putting in a custom formula to '=TheDoc!User.DocID'

Once that is in place, you just change the property to have the update flow onto every page.

The barcode itself is going to be the tricky bit and ideally would all be done in Visio with a smartshape and a macro to set each value. I assume such a beast exists but I don't have time to go looking for one. Have you done any research to find a barcode shape that configures to an input string?