View Single Post

Old 09-26-2018, 06:58 AM
MimiCush MimiCush is offline Windows 10 Office 2013
Novice

MimiCush is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate everyone's help,

I know trying to do this with my example does not make sense. I was actually trying to do something across "similar" but somewhat different large sheets, which is why I would prefer to use a "name" rather than a col/row reference. Again, I know how do this using excel tables, but as I noted I have reasons why I would rather not use tables.

My actual tables are much more complicated than my example. I want to add multiple columns and find the max of multiple columns in "each" row and place the result in the same row.

In my example, my non-table has 12 rows and I have named Col_1 and Col_2. What I found was that I can have "= Col_1 + Col_2" or "= Col_1 * Col_2" in a cell and it will add or multiply just the Col_1 and Col_2 for that row - works great.

However, when I use sum to add - "= sum (Col_1 , Col_2) - it sums the entire column of each. Same with max "= max ( Col_1 , Col_2)"; it finds the max of 12 rows of both columns. What I wanted was it to sum Col_1 & Col_2 in just that one row and find the max of Col_1 & Col_2 in just that one row.

As I wrote, there is zero documentation that my first examples would work, but they do. But "@" does not work on a non-table sheet. So it seems that if I want to compare 5 columns, I must use a complicated "if" statement.

Again, thanks for your suggestions, but they will not help in this case.