View Single Post

Old 09-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Cosmo Cosmo is offline Windows Vista Office 2007
Competent Performer

Cosmo is on a distinguished road
Default Range won't delete on some computers

I have a function which, among other things, removes extra spaces from the end of all paragraphs. It works properly, except on some machines it goes into an endless loop. I found out that it's not deleting a range.

My code loops WHILE the last character is a space. If there are multiple spaces at the end of a paragraph, it happily deletes all of them except for the last one it encounters, and then it continues to loop since the last character will always be a space.

I partially solved the problem by counting the # of spaces at the end, then deleting that range; it doesn't delete the last space, but it doesn't run into an endless loop.

The computers that seem to have the problem I believe all are running Windows 10 and Office 365. I think there are some which have the same setup but do work, but I'm not positive.

Here's the code that's causing the problem
Code:
        For Each oPara In oDoc.Paragraphs
            Set oRng = oPara.Range
            Set orng2 = oPara.Range
            Call oRng.MoveEnd(Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=-1)
                While (Right(oRng.Text, 1) = " ")
                    orng2.Start = oRng.Start
                    orng2.End = oRng.End
                    Call orng2.Collapse(wdCollapseEnd)
                    Call orng2.MoveStart(Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=-1)
                    If (Len(orng2.Text) > 0) Then
                        orng2.delete ' This FAILS on some machines!
                    End If
                Wend
        Next oPara
EDIT: I forgot that the original computer that was having this problem was running Windows 8, so it's not a Windows 10 issue. The only common denominator that I can find is that it only happened with Office 365. Most of the computers with the same specs as the first one didn't exhibit this issue.