View Single Post

Old 09-03-2018, 03:55 AM
Flyckten Flyckten is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Flyckten is on a distinguished road
Question Word form with the intent of Excel export

Hi,

This question is broad and there is definitely multiple solutions. However, here goes:

I am working with requirements specification for both hardware and software. The way we structure these is a bit depending on the project but in general we like to have the following things in each requirement:
  • Number - Now using word header at level 4
  • Type - Represents different levels of the requirement. Eg. Must/want/Present. Today we specify this in the header like this: (Want)
  • Requirement - A text containing the actual requirement. Sometimes contains subrequirements in a list.
  • Comment - A subheader (level 5) with text giving some backgrounds or information to the requirement to help understand why this requirement is stated.
  • Present - Also a subheader (level 5) with text of what we want presented. Sometimes it is necessary to specify what we want the bidders to present, even if its a Must/Want-requirement.

All this is inserted in a word document along with a simplified excel-sheet where the bidders are supposed to out answer. It is made in excel due to the answers result in points and is later used for evaluation purposes. Since the word document sometimes contains a few hundred requirements the work to create excel sheets are somewhat time consuming even if the process is half automated and there is alot of proofreading and corrections to be done. There is also the risk of misses in the editing when having the information in two places.

Now to my actual question. Is there anyone with a good idea (or a template) on how this could be structured or made in a better way to ease the process? I have been thinking of making forms of the requirements and adding editable fields, locking everything else and then doing some VBA to generate an "evaluation report". Not knowing all the capabilites of exporting word-forms and the controllability of it, I'd like some pointers if that would be a good idea before starting up a building it. Basically, any pointers from GURUs in this community is extremely appriciated.